Take Part In An Unforgettable Production Of A Broadway Musical
We offer an opportunity each summer for families to engage in a professional-level production of a major Broadway musical on the Florida College campus in Temple Terrace in a 9-day timeframe
A Transformative Musical Production Experience
An Enriching Drama Experience
We offer an educational Broadway experience to individuals and families in a creative, professional and conservative spiritual environment.
Skill Development for Drama Presentation
Meet Royce and Hope Chandler
Royce and Hope Chandler have directed summer camps for about 30 years. They are well-experienced in careful organization and paying attention to details so that camp participants have a well-planned and fun-filled camp experience.
Royce has directed many Broadway musicals, including Oklahoma, Fiddler on the Roof, South Pacific, Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me Kate, 1778, The Music Man, Carousel, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
Watch Our Production Of Oklahoma!
Oklahoma! is the first musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein. The musical is based on Lynn Riggs’ 1931 play, Green Grow the Lilacs. Set in farm country outside the town of Claremore, Indian Territory, in 1906, it tells the story of farm girl Laurey Williams and her courtship by two rival suitors, cowboy Curly McLain and the sinister and frightening farmhand, Jud Fry. A secondary romance concerns cowboy Will Parker and his flirtatious fiancée, Ado Annie.
The original Broadway production opened on March 31, 1943. It was a box office hit and ran for an unprecedented 2,212 performances, later enjoying award-winning rivals, national tours, foreign productions and an Oscar-winning 1955 film adaption. Rodgers and Hammerstein won a special Pulitzer Prize for Oklahoma! in 1944.
Support Broadway Comes To Camp
A small family-based theatre group struggles with the huge costs necessary to achieve excellence in a production. Equipment, sets, costumes, props, backdrops: all need to be upscale, causing the audience to respond with, “Wow! How can a small amateur group produce that high quality of a show?!” Maybe you can help with that. But also, some would love to support our project which is dedicated to the cultural, spiritual, and moral education of our young people.
Our production costs, which exceed $20,000 each year, must be covered through donations and ticket sales. Your help would ensure that we can cover costs and continue another year.
Your donation will help to cover:
- New Equipment: microphones, digital spotlights. These items are expensive but so essential to providing a high-quality performance. $5000 + would be a great blessing.
- Renting backdrops: 3-4 drops per show cost in excess of $2000 per year.
- Costumes: depending on the requirements of each show, we need at least $1000 per year.
- Adopt-A-Cast Member: Every participant pays about $300. For families of 5, 6, or 7 that adds up to a high cost. Every donation of $300 can help this remain a family-based project by covering that cost for large families who want to be with us but struggle with the cost.
- Florida College fees: the college charges us $10,000 to use the campus. Any assistance with this would be an enormous help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is invited to camp?
- Individuals – Those who want to learn and assist either on or off the stage
- Families – Parents and children, working together, can enjoy this rewarding and unique experience.
- Ages: Ten years old and up (younger children by invitation only, as needed for specific rules)
What is the location?
On the campus of Florida College located at 119 N. Glen Arven Ave, Temple Terrace, FL. We are blessed to use all the college facilities, including Hutchinson Auditorium, for our rehearsals and the three public performances of our summer production. Participants will stay in a campus dormitory and eat all meals in the college cafeteria.
What are the dates?
The dates for the camp are June 30th – July 8th, 2023.
We plan to give three public performances in Hutchinson Auditorium:
- 7:00pm, July 7th, 2023
- 11:00am, July 8th, 2023
- 7:00pm, July 8th, 2023
Have a question or a comment? Fill out this simple form, and we’ll get back to you soon!